Home › Pregnancy Topics › After the Birth > 
Search Topics

Neonatology - care for your baby - South Australia

neonates; neonatology; intensive; care; nursery; nicu; special; scbu;

Flinders Medical Centre

At Flinders Medical Centre (FMC) a variety of services are provided to ensure the health and wellbeing of newborn babies.

If a baby needs special medical attention, the Neonatal Unit provides care for premature and newborn babies. The Unit has two areas, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and a Special Care Nursery. Each year approximately 800 babies are cared for in the Neonatal Unit.

For more information about neonatal services at Flinders:

Women's and Children's Hospital

The Department of Neonatology cares for babies born at WCH and babies transferred/retrieved from other hospitals. In conjunction with the Obstetric Service it forms part of the Perinatal Service for high risk pregnancies in South Australia. In addition to providing neonatal emergency transport the service provides consultation for clinicians in other places in South Australia.

The Department works closely with other Women's and Children's Hospital paediatric subspecialties and allied health departments. Care is provided by a team of neonatologists, registrars, neonatal nurse practitioners, extended practice nurses and midwives.

How to access the service

Babies born at WCH are cared for in different clinical areas depending on their needs. Babies can be referred or transferred by general practitioners, paediatricians, domiciliary midwives or other midwives after discussion with a neonatologist.

Follow up appointments are mostly arranged prior to discharge from hospital but can also be made by calling the neonatal outpatient clinic.

Clinical Services and Wards

Premature babies

Have a look at our topic on premature babies .

There is more information about premature babies on the Raising Children Network site 

back to top

The information on this site should not be used as an alternative to professional care. If you have a particular problem, see your doctor or midwife.


Home › Pregnancy Topics › After the Birth >