Home › Health Topics › Safety & First Aid > 
Search Topics
GO


Lye water

lye; water; lime; burns;

Lye water (sometimes called ‘Lime Water’) is a strong (caustic) liquid that is safe to use in very small amounts in cooking, but it can be dangerous if lye water is swallowed undiluted straight from the bottle. It can cause severe corrosive burns to the throat, oesophagus and stomach with permanent damage if swallowed. Children who have accidentally swallowed lye water have needed urgent medical attention in hospital.

  • If you suspect that a child has swallowed lye water phone 000 immediately and seek urgent medical attention.

Information about how to prevent poisoning

This information can be found on the Department of Health South Australia website

back to top

The information on this site should not be used as an alternative to professional care. If you have a particular problem, see a doctor, or ring the Parent Helpline on 1300 364 100 (local call cost from anywhere in South Australia).

This topic may use 'he' and 'she' in turn - please change to suit your child's sex.

Home › Health Topics › Safety & First Aid >