Bites and stings
insect; bite; sting; flea; jellyfish; blue; ringed; octopus; ticks; caterpillar; centipede; scorpion; ant; poison; hive; repellent; wasp; European; DEET; repellent; pyrethrin; anti-venom; bed; first; aid; bee; european; wasp; anaphylaxis; hives; allergy ;
Most insect bites and stings are not poisonous but the bites of some insects such as wasps, bees and some spiders can be harmful. If a child is bitten and it is possible to save the insect, this may help with treatment it if is poisonous.
For information about various insects, spiders and snakes have a look at the information on these websites:
South Australian Health Department
Clinical Toxinology, Women's and Children's Hospital and University of Adelaide, South Australia
http://www.toxinology.com/index.cfm This site has detailed information about many snakes, spiders, insects and other creatures that can bite or sting including:
Better Health Channel (Victoria)
Anaphylaxis Australia (SA) - Information and support for parents
1300 728 000
The information on this site should not be used as an alternative to professional care. If you have a particular problem, see a doctor, or ring the Parent Helpline on 1300 364 100 (local call cost from anywhere in South Australia).
This topic may use 'he' and 'she' in turn - please change to suit your child's sex.