Bushfires in the hills
06 Jan 2015
It is bushfire season and there are big fires in the hills around Adelaide.
Many families have been affected by bush fires.
Many animals have been lost and properties damaged.
It is a scary time for everyone, especially kids.
If you, or someone you know, have had to leave home, or if you have friends or family staying with you because of the fires, this can be a stressful time for all of you.
You are not alone.
Hundreds of people are trying their best to help by putting out the fires, keeping people safe in shelters and safe places, providing meals, food, water and bedding to those who are in need.
Everyone can help in some way.
- We can stay away from bushfire areas so that the firefighters can get on with their job.
- We can look after friends and family or their pets who may need our help.
- We can stay away from smoke which can make us feel very ill and cause trouble breathing (young kids and older people especially can get sick, so it’s best to stay inside if smoke is being blown over where you live).
- We can give to the organisations which are helping people.
- We can all be kind to each other.
If you know someone who has lost anything in the fire, then check out our topic on Bushfires. It may help you to understand what they are going through.