05 Dec 2005
If you are in your final year at primary school, you haven't got long to go before it will all be over and you will be having a break before starting the next part of your school life at High School.
The final days in primary school should be fun, but sometimes things can get a bit stressful.
- Does your school hold a graduation ceremony?
- Do you have to speak in front of parents, teachers and the other kids in your year?
- Are you worried about what you will wear for graduation?
- Do you have a social or dance at the end of the year?
- Do you have a lunch or dinner?
Sometimes all the things that happen at school to mark the ending of primary school years can be a bit scary for some kids. What can you do about it?
- Make sure that you know what you have to do.
- Don't leave everything to the last minute.
- Practise your speech as many times as possible so that you feel confident.
- Chat about what other kids in the class will be wearing. It is important to feel part of the group - but you don't have to have the latest designer clothing or dress like a superstar.
- Be on your best behaviour if you are having a special meal together. Think about how embarrassed you will feel if everyone is still talking about something awful you did when you meet up at some school reunion in the future!
- Be aware that the other kids are probably feeling like you - nervous, sad, happy or whatever. It's okay to feel sad. After all, you have spent most of your life so far with the same bunch of kids, and now many of you will be moving to different schools.
Enjoy it all!
Enjoy getting things ready for graduation, writing and practising the speech, talking about what you will wear, collecting addresses or autographs from your classmates, going out for celebrations, graduation ceremonies and parties, getting ready for Christmas and holidays… and all the other stuff that happens at the end of the school year.