Tips for enjoying the festive season
10 Dec 2012
Christmas and New Year is a time of celebration. In Australia it is also summertime which means the festive celebrations can be enjoyed in the sunshine by the beach, the pool, or the river, camping in the great outdoors or just lazing around in your back yard.
Wherever your celebration takes place, here are a few tips to help make it safe and enjoyable.
- Eat before drinking.
- Have a glass of water or soft drink to quench your thirst before having the first alcoholic drink.
- Drink water or other non-alcoholic drinks in between drinks.
- Eat while you're drinking - but not salty foods, as they make you drink more.
- See the topic Alcohol for more information.
- Drinking and driving do not mix. If you intend to drink alcohol then go with others and agree beforehand who is the 'designated driver'.
- Public transport or a taxi is a good option. In South Australia on New Years Eve, all public transport is free after midnight.
- Having enough quality sleep is vital to your emotional and physical well being. Feeling tired and sleepy will make it hard to enjoy the fun of the festive season.
- See the topic Sleep for more information about the importance of sleep.
If you're celebrating outdoors, there are a few simple things to remember to enjoy the day.
- Slip on protective clothing
- Slop on SPF 30+ sunscreen
- Slap on a hat
- Seek shade
- Slide on some sunglasses.
- See the topic Sun protection for more information.
However you celebrate this festive season, may it be a safe, happy and enjoyable time for all.