Home › What's New

What's New

Button batteries
29 Jul 2013

Coin-sized lithium batteries, sometimes known as ‘button batteries’, are a hazard to babies and children, who may put objects such as these into their mouths and swallow them.

So far this year six children have been taken to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital because they have swallowed one of these batteries.

When swallowed, the batteries can lodge in a child’s throat. A chemical reaction can result in severe burns through the child’s oesophagus. This can cause death.

The batteries are sometimes found in children’s toys and other devices such as watches, scales and doorbells.

It is important that you make your home as safe as possible as soon as your baby starts to move around. Read the topic Swallowed objects, for more on other swallowing hazards, how to recognise a medical emergency and respond.

Back